We do not know if Arsenal tried to sign Etienne Capoue from Toulouse in January, but he could have been the player Arsene Wenger was referring to when he said that a club had rejected a late transfer window offer for one of the Arsenal targets. Toulouse had sold Sissoko to Newcastle, and would have been left very light in midfield if they had also sold Capoue.
Following the gift of two goals to local rivals and direct competition Tottenham at the weekend, the Arsenal defence has come under the microscope again. It is not the first time this season that the Gunners have been shockingly exposed at the back, although the defensive record is actually pretty good. Arsenal had the second meanest defence in the Premier League going in to the derby.
Arsene Wenger is set to have a meeting with the Arsenal board, and the Frenchman will be left in no doubt that he is expected to make full use of the transfer war chest that will be available to him in the summer. The club officials do still have faith that Wenger is the man to make Arsenal great again, but feel he needs to change his transfer policy somewhat and buy players who are already proven at the top level.
Even though the transfer window is closed the papers are still keeping an eye on what the Arsenal scouts are up to. (I guess they carry on working between windows!) The Telegraph has reported that Arsene Wenger sent a scout up to Celtic Park to have another look at the strong holding midfielder Victor Wanyama in last night’s 3-0 defeat to Juventus.
With the amount of players that Arsene Wenger has brought to Arsenal over the last two summers (not to mention the talented youngsters he has coming through) it appears that he doesn’t think that he needs many more additions to his extensive squad.
Today the respected UK Broadsheet the Telegraph is claiming that Wenger is only looking to buy the Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue to be the main holding midfielder next season, with just a possibility of bringing in another young striker if any of the current ones fail to make the grade.
There was a rumour that spread like wildfire during January that Arsenal had made an offer of £30 million for a player. A large proportion of the speculation was that the player in question was the 25-year old Uruguayan international Edinson Cavani. The Napoli star has told the media that he knows absolutely nothing about it, however, and so I wonder who the player in question was, or if there even was such an offer made.
Arsene Wenger made it clear a couple of weeks ago that Arsenal were in the market for two players in the transfer window. They finally sealed the deal for Nacho Monreal in the dying minutes, but it seems that Wenger failed to persuade the “second signing”‘s club to let him leave.
Wenger said today: “We were close to one more signature,”
“It didn’t happen because of the desires of the clubs not to sell.
It could have been David Villa but it was confirmed some time ago that Barcelona were not going to let him go, so perhaps it was Etienne Capoue? Or Mohamed Diame? He would certainly have been my favourite out of the many names on offer.
There were a lot of names being linked with a transfer to Arsenal last month, too many to list here, and quite a high proportion of them were defensive midfielders. The Spanish international left back Nacho Monreal was the only new addition for the Gunners, though, which surprised many people who thought that a strong midfield warrior was top of the list for Arsene Wenger.
Right up until the transfer window closed on Thursday night, there were rumours that Mohamed Diame would be a last minute transfer from West Ham to Arsenal, but Wenger must have decided he was not the right player. The boss did not want to bring anyone in, and it seems now that he had his eyes on someone else, the France and Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue.
First of all, there are no official moves in the transfer market to report, no reports of bids made at all. There are, as usual, a few rumours doing the rounds. Yesterday there was a flurry of activity on some of the Arsenal websites after a story broke that Arsenal were in Barcelona for talks about the signing of their striker David Villa.
Goal.com reported that Dicky Law, the contract negotiator for the Gunners was in the Spanish city to hammer out details with the 31-year old and his club. Made up? Possibly. The unconfirmed rumour was quickly denied. Arsene Wenger has gone further today by suggesting that Barcelona will stand firm in their decision not to sell.
It seems as if Arsenal will not be signing Wilfried Zaha in this transfer window, leaving the path clear for Alex Ferguson and Manchester United. Newspaper reports claim that United and Crystal Palace have agreed terms, but the 20-year old winger is likely to remain at Selhurst Park for the rest of the season.
Wenger has stated that Arsenal did not lose out to United in the chase for Zaha, however, as he denied that the Gunners were ever trying to buy him. Some reports have claimed that Arsenal did make an offer to Palace for the player, but were unwilling to meet the terms offered by United, thought to be around £12 million plus add-ons.
Arsenal are in danger of watching as all of the potential signings get snapped up by other Premier league clubs. I don’t understand what we are waiting for. Maybe Arsene Wenger does not want to get his pants pulled down over transfer fees, but Arsenal need some players and we don’t want to be left to pick over the players that other teams have left.
Arteta, Wilshere and Cazorla don’t work together by KJ
Ever since Jack Wilshere came back from his injury, I was extremely excited to watch our technically most gifted midfield we’ve ever had under Wenger. I was expecting a midfield that would never lose the ball and would absolutely dominate possession. I was expecting goals galore with such a technically gifted midfield and yet after all this, we’ve been on a downwards spiral ever since the return of Wilshere.